Following the major amendment of EN 15804, EN 15804+A2 has become the mandatory standard to adhere to in July 2022 for manufacturers reporting their environmental data in EPDs.
Availability of +A2 Data in Building Assessments
Some calculation tools allow the use of A2 data. However, A2 data is not usable in full LCA tools as it has different impact assessment categories overall compared to A1.
- To learn more about the differences between EN 15804+A1 and EN 15804+A2, click here. There is a difference in the usability of +A2 data.
For most certification tools (e.g. LEED and BREEAM) it is not up to One Click LCA if +A2 data can be used, it is up to the organizations behind these certifications to amend their requirements to allow reporting results in line with +A2. For existing schemes this is unlikely to happen, however, new iterations may support +A2 data.
How Can We Use +A2 Data?
- If you want to use all environmental indicators from +A1 and +A2 data together, this is not possible due to incompatible data standards. The incompatibility of standards is not solvable with workarounds.
- If you want to use GWP from +A1 and GWP-FOSSIL from +A2 together, this is possible with a limited number of tools.
Using +A2 Data in Building Assessments
Using 'Global Warming Potential-FOSSIL' only
- Klimatdeklaration av byggnader (SE)
- The Low carbon assessment tool (FI)
- Greenhouse gas accounting, TEK17 (NO)
- Norge - NS 3720 Klimagassverktøyet (NO)
- RE2020 (FR) - Only relates to EPDs from INIES
- RICS / GLA / Green Mark (+A2 version)
- Life Cycle Carbon, Global 2023
- Life Cycle Carbon, Global 2023 (simplified)
- Interior Design tool
Using all GWP indicators from EN15804+A2 + GWP from +A1
- Level(s) life-cycle carbon (EN15804 +A1/+A2)
- Net Zero Carbon 2023
Using 'Full EN15804:A2' Environmental Indicators
- Level(s) LCA According to EN15804+A2
- Infrastructure carbon, EN 17472
PS: For some new data points in those cited tools, you can find both values for Global warming potential (EN 15804+A1 and EN 15804+A2), but rest assured that the value used for calculations is the one compliant with EN 15804+A2.
Using +A2 data in future updates
This list may change based on requests from customers.
Tools that cannot utilize +A2 data
This is due to requirements set by certification bodies. With future versions, +A2 data might be supported.
- Any current BREEAM tool (all require CML as of today)
- Any current LEED tool (North American tools use TRACI and International versions require CML)
- Any DGNB tools
- CEEQUAL, Envision & ISCA Infrastructure tools
- Verde (latest guide 07.2022 requires +A1 results and data)
Using +A2 Data In Product or EPD Assessments
On the Product LCA side, in our Pre-verified EPD Generator & EPD Hub tools, all results categories can be calculated automatically in line with both EN 15804+A2 as well as EN 15804+A1 (and optional formats such as TRACI 2.1, INIES, or NMD).
Data in EN15804+A2 format can already be used in Product LCA assessments as well. To learn more about how to use A1 & A2 data in product LCA, please click here.