LCA for MB3 calculation tool (included in all Swedish licenses) is used to calculate the LCA of the building materials according to Miljöbyggnad 3.1 guidance. The calculation results of this tool can be used for evidence to the indicator '15. Stommen och grundens klimatpåverkan' of the Miljöbyggnad 3.1 scheme.
This scheme focuses on environmental impacts arising from manufacturing of materials (A1-A3) and transportation to the construction site (A4, required for silver and gold ratings of the indicator).
The scope of materials for this scheme is limited to building frame and foundations. This includes materials used in the horizontal and vertical load-bearing parts including load-bearing parts in the outer wall. Other materials in the outer wall are not included.
Materials included in the scope:
- Load-bearing horizontal and vertical parts, such as load-bearing walls, columns, beams and joists.
- Materials in the frame down to the drainage layer.
- Studs in light external wall elements.
- Piles or other local foundation reinforcement.
1 - Create a project and select the right calculation tool
Create a building project and select the MB3 tool as the chosen calculation tool.
2 - Create your first design and set up the LCA parameters
Set up your first design and go through the LCA parameters.
- The service life of materials is not relevant as the B and C stages are not included in the scope.
- Use 'Nordic' as the transportation setting.
- Choose whether you want to use the Material manufacturing localization method. More information on this method can be found here.
- End of life calculation method is not relevant as C and D stages are not included in the scope.
3 - Check the mandatory scope
Check the mandatory scope of required elements from the Miljöbyggnad 3.1 guidance documents.
4 - Fill in the building area
Fill in the Building area question form by entering the GIFA (Gross Internal Floor Area) and the Internal area (Atemp).
5 - Input required material data
Fill in your project information in One Click LCA by entering the design either manually or by importing your data (see different import options here; guidance for data import can be found here). If you need help finding the right datasets for your building materials, check our guidance pages here and here.
After importing or manually adding the material data, set the following parameters for each material in the 'Building Materials' query:
- Choose the correct building part classification for each material from the 'BSAB Byggdelar' dropdown menu. This can be done also within the import process. This parameter is used for showing the results per building part in the result graphics.
- Set the transportation distance and method from the manufacturing site to the construction site manually if you have project-specific data for these values.
- Check the 'EPD' checkbox for each material resource in the calculations that cover the actual product used in the building. You can also write the name of the manufacturer for each 'EPD' marked material row.
For silver rating, at least 50% of the total global warming potential results is required to be covered by product-specific EPDs. For gold rating, the minimum requirement is 70% of the GWP.
6 - Download LCA results
Navigate to the results page, click on 'more actions', and download the detailed report.
The result table shows the result distribution per life cycle stage as well as the total kg CO2e per Internal area (Atemp). The 'Share of GWP with EPDs' column shows the percentage of total global warming potential results covered by material resources that you have the EPD checkbox marked for. All the EPD-marked material rows are listed in this result table.