This guide concerns the 'Life-Cycle Carbon Global' tool. This tool can be purchased as an add-on to any building or infrastructure license. This tool reports only on Global Warming Potential (GWP), however allows you to use both CML and TRACI data.
The Global Carbon tool has been made to perform Global Carbon assessments and utilizes the largest database of any of our LCA tools. It does not have a mandatory material scope.
- The life-cycle stages scope includes A1-A3, A4, A5, B1, B3, B4-B5, B6, B7, C1, C2, C3, C4, D
- The results indicators scope includes Global Warming Potential (GWP kg CO2e), Biogenic Carbon Storage (kg CO2e bio) and Social Cost of Carbon (in desired currency format).
- Available material selection, you have access to both CML and TRACI data (50.000 + datasets)
- Access to generic databases, you will have to generic databases such as ICE, EPiC, SYKE & Boverket.
How to complete your assessment, step-by-step
1. Set your calculation period and building area
- Enter here the service life of the building required by the client or through regulations, for LCA this is also the reference study period/calculation period for the analysis. An often chosen calculation period is 60 years. This is the default calculation period in most BREEAM and LEED assessments.
- Enter the building area in the respective question form. Specify as a minimum gross internal floor area (GIFA). This will be used to provide results per one m2, in order to make a possible comparison between different projects. You can find out more about the building area here.
2. Enter your construction materials
- Enter your construction/building materials. Adjust their service life setting, transport setting, localization, wastage percentage and end of life process as seen fit.
- You can choose a repair rate (B3). The default rate is 0, to be adjusted by the user.
- You can choose to mark a material as a 'reused material' which removes A1-A3 and A5 emissions. For existing materials (e.g. re-used foundation) you can set the transportation distance to 0 to remove A4 emissions as well. Read more about that here.
- You can set a custom classification or use private classifications if you have an Expert license.
3. Enter your site operations (A5), energy (B6) and water (B7) demands (optional)
- For construction site operations specify the climate region and construction site area (question 1 in Construction site operations question form) OR input manually project-specific information in the questions 2-5.
- Include project-specific data for annual energy (kWh/y) and water (m3/y) consumption.
4. Fill in the emissions and removals query (optional)
- This query looks at the use-phase emissions generated by refrigerants, concrete carbonisation and vegetation carbon withdrawals.
Analyzing the results
The 'Life-Cycle Carbon Global' tool reports on
- Global Warming (GWP, kg CO2e)
- Biogenic Carbon Storage (kg CO2e bio)
- Social cost of carbon (in desired currency format)
Under more actions you can get a results report in Excel format.