This feature is available to all Business and Expert license users, however, please note that you will require access rights to a project to copy the data from it. This feature can be used to copy project data from one project to another, one design at a time.
What does this feature do?
This feature allows using previous inputs from another design on the same project or any of your other projects or your colleagues’ projects as a starting point for your new project or design. You can copy all inputs or just inputs for one of the input forms. You need access rights to a project to copy data from it.
How do you use this feature?
How can you make this work:
You can copy data between designs within a project when you have created at least two designs to it. For copying design data from another project, be sure that you meet the following prerequisites:
- Be a user on both projects; the project you want to copy from and the project you want to copy to.
- These projects need to have the same calculation tool (e.g. both need to have the same 'LEED' or 'BREEAM' tool.)
- It is strongly recommended to use the same LCA Parameter settings in both projects as this can influence your generated results.
If the above is in place, follow the instructions below and save yourself some valuable time!
Step 1: Select 'Copy data from another design'
This function can be found in two ways.
While on the main page of your project, you can click on the edit icon of the first design you wish to merge and select 'Copy data from another design'. If you want to be cautious you can even create a new design and copy the desired designs into this, leaving your old designs as they are.
Alternatively, you can navigate to the building material query where on the top right side of the page you can find the 'import data' button. Click this button and then select 'Copy data from another design'. You can then select a design from either one of your projects, or from one of your colleagues' projects to copy the data from.
Clicking on the option 'copy data from another design' will open a window that allows you to make your choice from the available designs.
Step 2: Select the design you want to copy data from
Select the design you want to copy the data from. Your own designs will show up here, but also designs of your colleagues which you are a user of. Also, make sure that the overwrite data options are set correctly to ensure that you do not lose any data unintentionally.
View from home page "Copy data from another design"
View from Building material tab "Copy data from another design"
Step 3: Click on 'Copy all data' or 'Copy Buildings materials only'
Clicking on 'Copy all data' will automatically fill all query forms. By clicking on "Copy Buildings materials only", you will only import data from the building materials query.
After copying my design into another project the results are different, how is this possible?
- If you copy data from one project to another project and both include the same calculation tool, there can only be one reason why the emissions could be different, and this is your LCA parameter setup. The LCA parameters affect A1-A3, A4, B4-B5, and C1-C4.
- If you copy data from one project to another and you include different calculation tools, then there can be a difference in scope (e.g. one tool includes energy and the other does not) or a difference in calculation methods. Each calculation tool is always designed to meet requirements for that tool, regulation, or certification and for that reason, it is not recommended to try to get results between different calculation tools to match.