21st September - Net Zero Carbon tool updates
- Carbon Designer can be used with the tool (separate license is required)
- Biogenic carbon emissions are now added back to the End of Life stage so that Net Carbon results are calculated correctly for each Lifecycle stage. Biogenic carbon is deducted from other stages.
- Range of fixes were done in the graphs and in the End of Life calculation
- Additional help texts were introduced.
16th August - August Release Notes
Check the highlights of this release below, and view the downloadable PDF for a full overview of the August release here.
We changed our company name!
- Editing quantities in constructions - Users can now edit quantities of materials in constructions directly in the materials query without having to first unbundle the construction
- Construction variations - Users can start creating a variation of a construction by directly editing an existing construction in the materials query
- Editing multiple parameters - Users can now edit a range of parameters for multiple materials at once (eg classification, service life, comments etc)
- New plugins for Tekla Structures and Trimble Connect
- Carbon Heroes Benchmark - New profiles are now available in both building LCA and GHG tools.
Compliance and tool updates
Compliance updates for building LCA
France - The first audited version of RE2020 tool is now available
Sweden - Klimatdeklaration tool has now a Carbon Designer model with Boverket data, and the tool now includes additional results with average Boverket data.
Norway - Futurebuilt ZERO tool is becoming available soon and will be added to Expert licenses on request
EPD tool updates
- Construction and constituent export - Constructions and their constituents are now exported to the background report for simplifying EPD verification
- Quick Start Templates - Now enabled for the EPD tool and enable a project to be started by copying a standard template
- Verification points - Users can choose to show/hide verification points, jump directly to the desired one from a list, and each point can also be shared as a link (license required)
- Additional transportation impacts - These can now be modelled specifically for A1 and B stages
GHG reporting updates
- Ecoinvent data - Users can now access Ecoinvent data (separate license is required)
- Allocation - In the GHG Reporting Scope 3 tool, allocation possibility is now enabled for selected queries. Can be relevant for CDP, GRESB carbon reporting to GHG protocol
- Copying data - The ability to copy data from another design is now enabled
- GHG Reporting tools covering Scopes 1-3 in all categories - Now available as per user licenses as well as add-ons to all LCA and EPD subscribers
19th July - Update for Norwegian reference building
The default scenario for Construction Site Operations in Carbon Designer for Norway has been changed:
- New default scenario: 'Average energy and fuel use in construction site - Nordics (per GFA)' (Gjennomsnittlig energi og drivstoff bruk i byggeplassen - Norden (per BTA))
- Was previously: 'Average energy and fuel use in construction site - Nordics, with 100 % biodiesel (per GFA)' (Gjennomsnittlig energi og drivstoff bruk i byggeplassen - Norden, med 100 % biodiesel)
This update affects all new building models created using Carbon Designer tool 'Norwegian Reference building', when 'Default values' are added to the project materials scope.
12th July - Klimatdeklaration tool updates (all Swedish users)
We have introduced an update to the Klimatdeklaration tool:
- Calculation of results with average Boverket data is now enabled
- The separation of impacts for the heaviest products is now disabled according to the most updated calculation rules
2nd July - Tekla Structures plugins and Trimble Connect plugins are now commercially available (all users)
Find more information about these plugins at their respective articles:
14th June - New Building Circularity tool for GLA available (all UK users)
The new Building Circularity tool, which has been designed to complement GLA reporting, is now available to all UK building circularity users.
10th June - New tool Klimatdeklaration av byggnader is available (all Swedish users)
It will soon be replacing Klimatdeklaration av byggnader (förslag).
The new tool is now added to all Swedish licenses and includes the following updates:
- Enables A4 and A5 scenarios for Boverket data exactly as specified in the published database. Their transportation distances and site waste percentages can be directly edited inside the materials query if more accurate data are available.
- Transportation, fuel and energy profiles are coming exclusively from Boverket database
- Site wastage is now reported as a percentage of installed materials quantities
- BSAB 83 classification is added and default classification suggestions are automatically generated based on the section of the materials query where a material is added in (eg foundations, external walls etc)
- Enables users to document directly the source for A4 and A5 data, and generate easily the needed info for submitting the report
- Database and calculation are further customized to Klimatdeklaration requirements. New tool includes EN15804+A2 EPDs, excludes generic One Click LCA data, and the manufacturing localization method is always disabled for the tool.
- 2nd transportation leg is enabled
- The expected updates in Boverket's database and reporting requirements will be integrated as soon as they are published
Important notice: Results can be different from the previous Klimatdeklaration tool due to the manufacturing localization method being permanently disabled and the differences in A4 and A5 scenarios. The manufacturing localization method can affect the impacts of non-local EPD and One Click LCA generic data if the method is activated for the project (See LCA Parameters).
Any other requests regarding potential improvements in the tool can be reported to support.
26th May 2021 - May Release Notes (all users)
Check the highlights of this release below, and view the downloadable PDF for a full overview of the May release here.
Compliance and tool updates
Compliance updates for building LCA:
- GLA Whole Life-Cycle Carbon & Circularity - All requirements are fulfilled, including easy export and future discounting.
- NMD 3.0 (Netherlands) ready to use - Compliance approved and data update processes are now in place.
- RE2020 methode dynamique BETA - Numerous method updates, incl. methode dynamique
- Klimatdeklaration - New tool meeting legal requirements is available and will be available soon to Swedish customers.
- NEW Interior Design tool, Net Zero Carbon Tool and new European Infra Carbon tool.
- LEED ID+C - All LEED tools now allow for variable service life setting, ensuring they can be used for LEED ID+C Credits
- DGNB International 2020, Verde Edificios 2020 & Life Cycle Carbon - North America (Metric Units) - released previously.
Compliance updates for EPD Generator:
- One Click LCA EPD Generator is now pre-verified for The International EPD System for all Construction products and can be used to publish EPDs under the International EPD System as of now.
- New EPD tool categories for Plastic-based & Ceramic, Clay, Gypsum, Limestone and Porcelain-based products.
- Compliance with ISO TS/14067 for Taxonomy and other associated regulatory needs supported
- Quick start templates & updated project creation process allows for starting projects faster with standardized settings (Expert feature)
- Import Quantity Updates Only to support easy update of material quantities from same BIM model (Business feature)
- Autodesk Revit 2021 compatible plugin - New plugin was released in March. New version upcoming for Revit 2022
- Rhino and Grasshopper plugins - New plugins were released in March. Refresher update is upcoming.
Major database updates:
- New databases Boverket (SE), SYKE (FI), INSIDE/INSIDE (NL), Ecoleaf (JP), Plastics Europe (EU)
- New datasets 3200+ material datasets
5th May 2021 - Minor updates to EPD generator tools for International EPD System compliance
The One Click LCA EPD Generator has received minor, mostly editorial updates for the purpose of International EPD System pre-verification. The updates are visible on selected in-application guidance texts, the generated EPD report as well as the background report. Any new generated content can be removed by the user if not pursuing EPD publishing with The International EPD System.
23rd April 2021 - Ecoinvent database has been updated as part of The International EPD System verification
The ecoinvent database integrated in One Click LCA EPD Generators has been updated as part of The International EPD System verification. The changes affect particularly the EN 15804+A2 additional environmental impact indicators as well as French, Dutch and North American characterizations.
The details of the changes are as follows:
- Water scarcity indicator regionalization has been fully revised. Standard ecoinvent database does not contain water scarcity input flow regionalization.
- Selected air emissions were deregionalized in line with standard practice.
- Remaining long-term emissions (time horizon over 100 a) were descoped in line with EN 15804
- Specific flows fixed affecting additional impact categories ecotoxity fresh water, human toxicity cancer and human toxicity non cancer.
- Specific flows fixed affecting GWP biogenic, POCP and ODP.
The update should not introduce substantial changes to any of the core indicators. The updated database has been reviewed against an independent industry standard implementation of the characterization.
19th April 2021 - Database update for multiple Carbon Designer regions (All Carbon Designer users)
New constructions include:
- CLT, log and concrete bloc internal and external walls
- Multiple options for roof coverings and windows
- Options for green roof slab, ceiling finishes, CLT slab and more
More specifically, the following Carbon Designer regions get new constructions:
- International Carbon Designer gets 34 additional constructions, including 10 new external wall options
- UK Carbon Designer gets 22 additional constructions
- Swedish Carbon Designer gets 20 additional constructions
- Finnish Carbon Designer gets 15 additional constructions
- Italian Carbon Designer gets 21 additional constructions, including 10 new external wall options
31st March 2021 - LEED US now supports variable calculation period and reused material setting (All US LEED users)
Two changes have been made to the US LEED tool in order to support undertaking LEED ID+C: Commercial Interiors - MRc Interiors Life-Cycle Impact Reduction Option 3: Building Interior Life Cycle Assessment.
- The LEED US tool now supports a variable calculation period. (Default is still set to 60 years)
- The LEED US tool now supports marking any material as re-used.
29th March 2021 - New VERDE and Life Cycle Carbon North America (metric) tools available (all Spanish and Canadian users)
Two new tools have been introduced to the One Click LCA platform.
LCA for Verde 2020 - This tool allows you to perform an assessment compliant with VERDE 2020. The main differences are the environmental indicators and reported life cycle stages. The VERDE 2015 will remain available as well. This tool has been added to all commercial Spanish licenses.
Life Cycle Carbon North America (Metric) - This tool allows you to perform carbon assessments in North America and use metric units. This tool will be available for Canadian users.
23rd March 2021 - New version of Revit plugin available (all Revit users)
We have released a new version of the Revit plugin (V3.0.1 BETA). This new version of the plugin fixes all reported known issues. There are still some limitations to the plugin which are being worked on. The new plugin also supports use in Revit 2021.
You can find the new plugin on our customer help centre. Once the final version is out, it will be available from the Autodesk store as well. One Click LCA Revit Integration
18th March 2021 - UI update temporary revision (all EPD tool users)
After the recent update to the user interface, some fields (input text boxes) which were deprecated have been restored.
Deprecated inputs will be available until Friday April 2nd to allow users to copy the information over (where necessary) into the new format.
Please check your projects and designs to make sure no data will be lost after deprecated input boxes will be permanently removed.
16th March 2021 - Boverket and SYKE database available (all Swedish and Finnish users)
- The Boverket database is now available in the Swedish tools. More info: Öppna data - Klimatdatabas - Boverket
- The SYKE database is now available in the Finnish YM tool. More info: Rakentamisen päästötietokanta (co2data.fi)
- Both databases are also available in the Global carbon tool.
12th March 2021 - New GLA tool available (all UK users)
The new London Plan came into force on the 2nd of March. The new GLA tool which will help you prepare the WLC assessment to meet the London Plan's requirement, is now available to all licensed UK users. You can find the GLA tool guidance article here.
The new GLA tool has a similar structure to the existing 'Carbon assessment, RICS' tool with new features which allow you to:
- Differentiate between regulated and unregulated energy consumption and separate them in the results
- Calculate Maintenance emissions (B2 life cycle stage)
- Classify inputs according to RICS classification for all stages (Including Use-phase, Maintenance and Construction site operations)
- Generate metrics regarding material use and End-of-Life Scenarios, as relevant information is now exported in the detailed report.
- View results in a table structured to easily meet GLA reporting requirements. Note: You need to select a 'user-adjustable' EoL method in the LCA parameters in order to get C1-C4 stages separately, as needed for GLA reporting.
At pre-application you can provide early-stage options with Carbon Designer.
For Circular Economy Statements you can use our Building Circularity tool.
In an upcoming (next) update you will be able to export the main results table directly (including biogenic carbon) directly to Excel and to account for electricity grid decarbonization in impacts of material replacement. At the same time, a customized Building Circularity tool is being prepared.
3rd March 2021 - Revit v3.0 BETA plugin available (all Revit users)
Check the highlights of this release below, and view the downloadable PDF for a full overview of the
The new plugin introduces multiple new features and improvements. This new plugin version is available for Revit versions 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021.
It is strongly recommended for users, to install the final version of the plugin when it comes available - during the next few months - in order to get the full functionality, including the automated database updates. More information and plugin are available here.
22nd February 2021 - February Release Notes (all users)
Check the highlights of this release below, and view the downloadable PDF for a full overview of the February release here.
Rhino and Grasshopper Beta plugins are now available - Business & Expert users
Database structure updates - All users
- Data can now be found with greater accuracy improving as well the green material benchmarks
- 15 new material categories have been added
- 850 existing data points will be reclassified.
Manufacturing localization updates - Starter & Business users
This includes 2 updates to the localization mechanic.
- Users selecting 'Disable material localization' now applies properly to all new data added after the LCA parameter setup. Calculations will be updated as soon as a project is resaved.
- Users can now select the electricity profile which is used in the localization method in the LCA parameters updating all impacts accordingly. In existing projects where this option has already been selected the calculations will be updated as soon as a project is resaved.
Notifications aux utilisateurs Energie Carbone - French users
- L'Import des données (énergies, sdp, srt et coefficients) du RSET est amélioré pour les rediriger plus facilement dans les différents bâtiments (conceptions) et zones présentes.
- possibilité de modéliser le bâtiment par zone si vous ne souhaitez pas utiliser l'usage principal du bâtiment pour définir les entités programmatiques d'un même bâtiment.
- Option d’allocation automatique supplémentaire des données d'entrées (matériaux) qui pourront être pondérées en fonction de la surface SDP de chaque zone.
- Tableaux des résultats supplémentaires par lot et cycle de vie
- Données privées: nouvelle option d’ajout manuel pour les outils E+C-
- Outil Carbon Designer France pour les phases en amont pour E+C- (selon la licence)
Vous pouvez trouver plus d'informations dans le PDF ci-joint intitulé: 'It canMise à jour Février 2021 Notifications aux utilisateurs d'Energie Carbone'
Other updates - All users
- Chat support is dropped to ensure on-time response and quality
- Minor fixes and smaller improvements
22nd February 2021 - Materials classification update
The One Click LCA database expands quickly with hundreds of new data being added on a weekly basis, so its structure is now being updated with 15 new material classifications in order to help users find more easily the desired data, improve existing and create new green material benchmarks, and last, in order to improve the default values that are generated from One Click LCA for a range of parameters which are listed at the end of this article. The update includes also about 10 other changes in relation to material classification names and grouping.
Summary of expected result updates in existing projects
There will be no changes in projects that are not resaved.
The total number of reclassified data is ca. 850 data points, so less than 2% of the total database.
If data are resaved for projects with default LCA parameters settings, there will be changes in up to 450 materials, so less than 1% of the database is affected.
Specifically, when Material manufacturing localisation method “v1 – Recommended” is used and the project is resaved, A1-A3 and B4-5 impacts can change for 135 non-glasswool acoustic insulation, 55 Internal wall systems (windowless) and 15 engineered aggregates, as long as these materials were not manufactured locally and the method was applied.
Same wall systems and non-glasswool acoustic insulations, but also ca. 240 additional materials will change C2-C4 and D impacts if the default method “Material-locked recommended” is used in project LCA parameters and the project is resaved. The 240 additional data are linoleum flooring, raised flooring systems, Partition wall systems (with windows), cellular glass insulation, insulated wood elements and “Bitumen and asphalt binders”.
Biggest changes will be for users using Manufacturing localization method “v2 Beta” if a project is resaved, as all reclassified resources - except raised flooring systems and half of the windowless internal wall systems - will change impacts if these materials were not manufactured locally and the method was applied. Most considerable changes will be for compensated materials in classifications: suspended ceiling systems, acoustic insulation panels, insulated wood elements, linoleum, cellular glass insulation and zinc.
Additionally, it can be expected that the affected materials can have some different properties if they are added again in a project in comparison to previous inputs of the same material. Relevant properties for this are the cost proposals, site wastage percentages, service life, transportation distance, End-of-life scenarios (in user-adjustable methods), and recycled and reused content share (for circularity metrics). Not all these properties change for all materials. The material classifications that are affected in each case are mentioned later in the article.
Last, it can be expected that all material-related visualizations will be updated as well.
Database structure updates and affected parameters
The 15 new material classifications that are created are listed below. Only materials in these classifications can relate to a change in the results of existing projects.
- Internal wall systems, permanent
- Partition wall systems (with windows)
- Wood elements, insulated
- Raised flooring systems
- Linoleum flooring
- Suspended ceiling systems
- Acoustic insulation panels
- Cellular glass insulation
- Aluminium-framed glass doors
- Steel-framed glass doors
- Wood-framed glass doors
- Alternative binders
- Bitumen and asphalt binders
- Engineered aggregates
The list of all parameters that are affected by the update and the affected materials in each case:
- Required electricity for Manufacturing localization v1-Recommended method: Electricity changes for 135 non-glasswool acoustic insulation, 55 Internal wall systems (windowless) and 15 engineered aggregates – can affect existing non-local inputs if the project is resaved.
- Required electricity for Manufacturing localization v2 Beta method: Electricity changes for all relevant resources except raised flooring systems and half of the windowless internal wall systems – can affect existing non-local inputs if the project is resaved
- EoL scenario for End-of-Life “Material-locked – Recommended” method: Scenario changes for non-glasswool acoustic insulation, Internal wall systems (windowless), linoleum flooring, raised flooring systems, Partition wall systems (with windows), cellular glass insulation, insulated wood elements and “Bitumen and asphalt binders” – affects existing inputs if the project is resaved
- EoL scenario in “user-adjustable” End-of-Life methods: Default scenarios change for materials in new flooring categories, permanent internal wall systems, bitumen, zinc and alternative concrete binders. – affects only new inputs
- Site wastage percentage: Default percentage changes for all materials in new subtypes except new door classifications and acoustic panels – affects only new inputs
- Service life: Commercial service life changes for suspended ceiling systems, linoleum, “Bitumen and asphalt binders”, and steel-framed glass doors. RICS service lives get additional changes for Raised flooring systems, Internal wall systems (windowless), and Insulated wooden elements – affects only new inputs
- Transportation distance to the construction site: Changes for permanent internal wall systems, raised flooring systems, cellular glass insulation, engineered aggregates, alternative concrete binders, Insulated wooden elements and acoustic insulation that was previously under Other insulation. Not all changes apply in all scenarios, and RICS scenario is the least affected one – affects only new inputs
- Cost proposals: Changes for all materials. Most considerable changes for all the new composite systems and cellular glass insulation – affects only new inputs
- Default share of recycled and renewable content (for circularity metrics): Changes for all materials in the new classifications except raised flooring systems, permanent internal wall systems and Partition wall systems (with windows) – affects only new inputs
Last, the following classification groups are now created or updated. These changes do not affect calculations in any way. They only affect how material classifications are grouped or named in the Material filter.
- Concrete is now split to “Concrete, ready-mix” and “Concrete, precast”
- Asphalt is now a separate classification group, including “Asphalt” and “Bitumen and asphalt binders” classifications
- New “Cement, binders and additives” classification group is created.
- “Doors, windows and parts” is changing to “Doors, windows and partitions”
- “Partitioning systems” classification is renamed to “Partitioning systems (without windows)” and keeps only relevant data
- “Other chemicals” is now renamed to “Explosives and other chemicals”
- “Steel sandwich panels” are moved under steel
As a reminder, in the past release, one additional material classification was created to gather in a single place individual data that represent “Systems and assemblies”.
18th February 2021 - User interface update (All EPD tool users)
An update to the EPD tools user interface will be made on Thursday 18th February, making it easier to input data and reducing the amount of manual editing of automated EPD documents.
As a result, some of the queries/sections will look different, with some obsolete fields removed and other new fields added.
Relevant data for your projects will be retained, however, if you have any questions about the update, please feel free to contact us via the Help Center.
18th January 2021 - The ecoinvent database has been updated with new and corrected characterisation factors (All EPD tool users)
The update addresses issues in some indicators, provides default energy flow values and provides specific characterisations for INIES, NSF and ISO 29130 International requirements.
If you recalculate or resave your results that use any of the affected datasets, your results will change for the concerned impact categories.
The update corrects issues found in some processes for Net Water Use. Net water use data is recalculated to be aligned to ISO 21930:2017 and does not include the water used for river transport, used to power hydroelectric turbines or used as coolant and returned to the original source.
The update also improves secondary fuels and output flows handling, which are present in the datasets and these do not include any more data from background processes from ecoinvent. These indicators are meant to represent inventory of the manufacturing process under study only. Use of primary energy, renewable and non-renewable is now split according to the material feedstock or energy content.
It means that for bio-based and oil-based materials the energy value is now considering the energy of the energy content of the material itself “as raw material” and the energy spent for the manufacturing as “as energy”. Products like fuels (e.g. diesels etc.) are reported as 100% “as energy” since this is their intended use. This classification does not need to be performed on the software user interface any longer.
Global Warming Potential biogenic is now taking into account CO2 uptake from biomass. Land Use method was updated due to some issues found in the calculation engine used for its elaboration.
Use of natural resources
- Use of non-renewable secondary fuels
- Use of renewable secondary fuels
- Use of non renewable primary energy:
§ as energy
§ as raw materials
- Use of renewable primary energy;
§ as energy MJ
§ as raw materials MJ
- Net Water Use
End of life Output flows
- Components for reuse
- Materials for recycling
- Materials for energy recovery
Core environmental impact indicators - EN 15804+A2, PEF
- Global Warming Potential biogenic kg CO2e
Additional (optional) environmental impact indicators - EN 15804+A2, PEF
- Land use related impacts/ Soil quality dimensionless
12th January 2021 - D stage impacts no longer added to total in CEEQUAL & PAS 2080 Infrastructure tools (all Infra users)
An update in selected infrastructure tools has been processed in order to better match certification requirements. This update will affect the total result calculation in existing projects where the tools are used.
The D stage impacts will no longer be added in total results in CEEQUAL tools (where adding D stage is optional) and in PAS 2080 carbon tool. The D stage impacts will be still demonstrated in the Results table