Norwegian and European reference building update
The Norwegian and European reference buildings have been updated to new version 2019.1, which includes many improvements and fixes. This will not affect data already saved to the Building materials input form but will update the saved designs in Carbon Designer.
The changes will on the average, increase the Construction Materials (A1-A3) impacts by 7-8 % for all building types.
Please note: Reopening and saving previously created Carbon Designer model will update it to the new version. Do not save it again if you do not wish to update the reference to the latest version.
General default concrete recycled content changes and concrete assembly structures:
- In European reference building, all concretes are by default now having 10 % recycled binders (fly ash, blast furnace slag), in line with WBCSD Cement Sustainability Initiative data.
- In Norwegian reference building, all concretes are by default now Lavkarbonklass B. This is in line with applicable Norwegian reference building guidance.
- All precast concrete assemblies now have both reinforcement steel and the concrete as separate inputs. This allows e.g. replacing just one of the constituents after unbundling.
- All concrete slabs now have an editable thickness.
Following materials default profiles are now changed:
- Mineral wool was changed to a generic LCA profile (was: Insulation, semi-rigid glass wool, water repellent, uncoated, 5.1 Km2/W, 200 mm, 21 kg/m3, 4.20 kg/m2, Arena (Isover))
- Oriented Strand Board was changed to a generic LCA profile (was: Oriented Strand Board (OSB), 6 - 40 x 590 - 1250 x 1840 - 6250 mm, 600 kg/m3, AGEPAN (Sonae Indústria))
- Paint was changed from a paint manufactured in UAE to Teknos paint from Finland
Was: Acrylic emulsion paint for interior application, 1.297 kg/l, 38% solids/volume, film thickness dry/wet: 30-50/79-132 micrometres, 12.7-7.6 m2/l, Fenomastic Wonderwall (Jotun)
Now: Water-borne interior paints, 1.36 kg/L, average coverage 8-10 m2/L, Biora, Ekora, Kolibri Sand, Paneelikattomaali, Ranch, Superlateksi, Tapettipohjamaali, Teknospro, Tela, Timantti, Trend (Teknos)
- Floor filler was changed for Wooden joist floor assembly as it was a speciality material with high impacts
Was: Wooden floor filler HSP 34
Now: Self-levelling mortar, for floors, walls and overhead appl., 3-50 mm, 1400 kg/m3, Pericret (PCI Augsburg)
- Wall render was changed for Concrete internal wall assembly, incl. reinforcement and filler to a more appropriate profile
Was: Wooden floor filler HSP 34
Now: Finishing wall mortars, French average, 3 mm, 4.2 kg/m2, Donnee par default (MDEGD)
- The membrane in Ceramic tiles, incl. underlayment membrane was updated as the profile was not intended for application under ceramic floor
Was: Plastic vapour control layer, 0.2 mm (Tommen Gram)
Now: Waterproof, protective, flexible coating, 1.5 kg/l, Lastogum (PCI Augsburg)
Fixes to assemblies:
- Superfluous paint and/or bitumen membrane was removed from the following assemblies
- In-situ concrete slab assembly
- Concrete slab assembly with bubble deck
- In-situ concrete roof assembly
- CLT compact roof assembly
- Paint and/or render has been added to the following constructions as was missing from internal side:
- Lightweight aggregate (LECA) block external wall assembly, incl. mineral wool insulation and timber frame
- Concrete external wall assembly with external insulation incl. timber frame
- Concrete sandwich element external wall assembly, incl. EPS insulation
- Brick sandwich wall assembly, incl. mineral wool insulation
- In-situ concrete wall assembly, incl. mineral wool insulation
- CLT external wall assembly, incl. mineral wool insulation
- Tile adhesive has been added to the following construction:
- Ceramic tiles, incl. underlayment membrane
- Added bitumen to the assembly OSB sheeting board and bitumen membrane as is necessary in roofing.
Additional choices enabled in constructions:
- The following generic profiles have been added as options where relevant:
- Rock wool insulation panels, unfaced, generic, L= 0.0346 W/mK, 50 kg/m3 (applicable for densities: 25-50 kg/m3)
- Ready-mix concrete, normal-strength, C20/25 (2900/3600 PSI), 55% recycled binders in cement (300kg/m3) share of recycled binder